Enzo Ferrari had no interest in building road-going cars at all. Scuderia Ferrari (literally ‘Ferrari Stable’) existed as an entity as early as 1928. But it would be nearly 12 years before Enzo would build the AAC815, a whole car of his own, and another 8 years before the first car carried the Ferrari name - The 1947 Ferrari 125 S. Ferrari was a racer himself, and he knew how to prepare race cars. He’d done both for Alfa Romeo for a decade, until 1938. After that success, Alfa named Ferrari as their head of motorsports.
When Alfa Romeo was taken over by the Mussolini regime in 1941, Ferrari’s small division was largely left alone. It allowed his to become more autonomous, and ultimately form Auto Avio Costruzione Ferrari. His company produced machine tools and aircraft parts, but managed to produce the previously-mentioned 815. The factory relocated to Maranello in 1943, and was later bombed by Allied forces in 1944. When it was reconstructed in 1946, the new factory included much better car-building capabilities.
Ferrari built only 2 examples of his first namesake car, the 125 S, before revising it into the 159 S, of which he built only one. Then came the 166.